2/27/2006

Uppuma Pittikkum!

Uppuma Pittikkum = I like uppuma

My fridge is rather bare today. I was gone all weekend and didn't have time to go shopping. I am left with the bare essesntials that remain in the firdge: left over indian chillis, curry leaves and that's about it, other than a leek and some lettuce.

I can't think of a better excuse to make one of my favorite comfort foods-Uppuma! Uppuma is a South Indian tiffin dish that is made from rava (aka cream of wheat- though I resist this definition because it is nothing like cream of wheat). You can find rava at any Indian grocery store. The rava is mixed with onions peas and spices and water and then forms into a thick maleable mixture. I like to fill a bowl full with uppuma and then turn the bowl upside down. It creates a little mold of uppuma.

To eat-- I mix the uppuma with yougurt and a little bit of sugar.

Uppuma

-1 cup rava
-1 1/2 teaspoon Ghee

First: Heat the ghee in a pan and "fry" the rava untill it turns light brown and emits a roasted smell.

-3 teaspoons oil
-1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed
-1 tablespoon Begal Gram dal
-1 dried red chilli broken into pieces

Second: Heat the oil, add the mustard seeds dal and red chilli.

-few curry leaves
-1 big onion- diced
-3 green chillis- diced finely

Third: When the mustard seeds start to sputter add the curry leaves onion and green chilli.

-2 1/2 cups water
-frozen peas or mixed frozen vegetables
-salt to taste

Fourth Afer the onion turns golden brown add the water, peas and salt. Bring to a boil and add the rava slowly integrating into the boiling water. Stir until the consistancy becomes thick and the water is absorbed by the rava.

ENJOY: Add a dallop of yogurt and some sugar! Best of all-- eat it like an Indian and mix everything together with your fingers; form into a ball and scoop into your mouth. Eat with a glass of fresh lime soda or make a batch of Indian tea (darjeeling topped off with milk and plenty of sugar).

Note on Indian cooking:

I find that whenever I invite friends over for Indian food they are always impressed by my ability to make Indian food. It is a common misconception that Indian food is impossible and full of many multiple steps. I am here to tell you that, once you get over your fear of Indian cooking, it is very easy and methodical. I learned how to cook by sitting on the floor next to my Indian amma (mother) Karthama while she prepared all our food when I was studying abroad in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. Observation is a great way to learn the flow and rhythym of Indian cooking.

Additionally, I always make sure I read the recipe and divide the recipe into seperate sections. Next I prep all the food and put them in little bowls according to what step they belong to. Then all it takes is assembling all the seperate parts and adding everything at the appropriate time.

Special Indian cooking gadget of the day: Masala Dabba. This is likely one of my most prized cooking possessions. It is a tin canister that has 6 little cups inside that I put my essesntial Indian spices in and it has a cover that seals in all the flavor and keeps air out.When I am ready to make Indian food, I pull it out of the cabinet above my stove and have all my indian spices at my fingertips. I like to include: cumin seed, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, fenegrunk seed, tumeric, and curry powder. (a very South Indian spice combination). This little gadget also makea a great wedding or housewarming gift for anyone that enjoys Indian cooking. It is my signature gift paired with a South Indian cookbook.


Recommended South Indian cookbooks:

Nita Mehta's South Indian favorites. isbn 81-86004-15-5

Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India, by Chandra Padanabhan.

Cappatalama? (Shall we eat?)

No comments: