3/17/2006

Squirrels, Nuts, and Nana

I love my grandmother!  She always pulls through with excellent coffee cakes, the best mashed potatoes and green beans, and most recently Pecans.  Above all the food that she makes I just love her.  I could spend all day lying on her couch and watching TV with her.

My grandmother (Nana) has a pecan tree on the side of her house and I love envisioning her and my grandfather (popop) sitting in their lliving room picking out the pecans from their shells as they watch the latest cable news TV magazine.  I also envision Nana chasing after the squirrels to make sure she gets every single nut in her yard.  I've been told that Nana stays up at night fretting over whether the squirrels are hording all her pecans.

Naturally,  when I received a care package last week from Nana I was super excited to get a sour cream container full of pecans hand picked with love.

While I am perfectly content eating pecans bythe handfull I needed to find a way to use them in cooking.  Thoughts of Nana's famous pecan pie ran through my head, but I finally settled on pecan waffels.  YUM!  With fresh stawberries and blueberries on top.  

No comments: