1/26/2010

Farm Inspired Meals.

As I write this I am sitting at Mountain View Farm in Purcellville VA. Right across the Shenadoah River from Historic Harpers Ferry. Mountainview is run by Shawna And Attilla and they come to the market I manage in DC- the 14&U Farmers Market. Through out the market season they bring in great naturally grown produce to my neighborhood in DC. Their farm is a part of an environmental center. It consists of 900 acres of wooded land and includes pasture and the market garden.

Shawna and Attila also raised goat, have a few sheep 2 pigs and are also waiting on their heiffer to calve so they can have milk. I might be lucky and get to have my first experience helping a cow give birth.

As I am out here everything inspires me to cook.

For breakfast, I had an omllette (from the chickens that used to be here until they met their fate by a local mink) filled with black beans and salsa that Shawna made from the summer's tomato and green pepper crop. I also had local bacon on the side.

Then for lunch, I made one of my favorite soups. Saute bacon in olive oil, add garlic, onion, carrot and celery. Saute till soft and then add tomato paste. Then add chicken stock and cubed potatoes (from the farm) Simmer until potatoes are soft. Then add cannelloni beans and ditalini pasta. Finally, I grated Keswisk Creamery's Carrock cheese ( it is very similar to Parmesan). For dessert I made a pear (from the Dupont market) upside down cake.

Then before it is my dinner time I did the rounds up at the pasture and gave the goats their water and grain. Threw kitchen scraps to the pigs and gave the Heifer with child a special grain mix. After they eat then its time for my dinner.

Now it is dinner time. I am roasting cubed blue magic Hubbard squash tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin and cinnamon. I'll later mix it with some extra black beans. The main dish is a Grass fed T-bone steak.

YUM! I love life on the farm!

No comments: