1/08/2010

Celery Root & Apple Soup

I first had this soup a couple years ago at lunch during restaurant week at Zola Next to the spy museum in Washington DC. At the time the soup was so simple and delicious that I wanted to recreate it at home for myself. I have tweaked the recipe over the years but last night I think it was the best I have ever made. It is a light and simple soup that taste delicious!

1) saute half an onion and one large garlic clove in olive oil (or butter). Add cubes of celery root, 2 apples and several small potatoes. Saute until onions are translucent and vegetables are browning on the sides.

2) Add stock: Vegetable or chicken. Raise heat to boil.

3) Simmer until vegetables start to fall apart.

4) Meanwhile, in a saute pan saute mixture of mushrooms in butter till crispy, add a little apple cider to deglaze pan.

4) Blend to a silky consistency with immersion blender.

5) Add butter, small amount of maple syrup and a tad of apple cider.

6) Serve with a dollop of creme fresh and topped with mushrooms.

YUM!

No comments: