4/22/2009

Seduced By an Avocado

Last night on my way home from work I stopped by the supermarket to find something to cook up.  The past few days I had used up all my farmers market finds and was in need of some new inspiration.  After meandering around the produce section at Whole Foods I was less than inspired.  While I am craving asparagus, I did not want to purchase any, knowing that soon enough I would have local asparagus from local farmers on my table.  

But soon enough the ripe avocados seduced me with their bumpy dark peel.  After picking up a few I knew that they were perfectly ripe.  Now my challenge was to plan my dinner around the avocado.  I slowly started picking up various things.  A lemon, a bunch of beets,  a small bag of walnuts, and baby-boc-choi.  I knew I had some leftover blue cheese at home and some delicious green onions from the market.

Once I got home I started my avocado centered dinner by halving the beet and roasting it in a 400 degree oven tossed with some olive oil and salt and pepper.  Next, I halved my baby-boc-choi and sprinkled olive oil and salt and pepper on it. The beets were fork tender after about 45 minutes, at which point I toasted the walnuts and put the baby-bo-choi on the grill pan. Finally, right before the baby-boc-choi was finished grilling (just long enough to wilt it and bring out the crunchy crispness) I added the green onions to the grill pan.

Meanwhile, I prepared a simple lemon olive oil vinaigrette, with lemon juice, tad of mustard, tad of honey and salt and pepper and olive oil.

Now for the seduction of the avocado:  I cut up the avocado in cubes, tossed with cubed beets and diced tomato and tossed in the toasted walnuts and vinaigrette. Next add crumbled blue cheese (left over from a cheese plate several nights ago) topped with baby-boc-choi and grilled green onions.

YUM!

Avocado,  you can seduce me anytime you want.  I don't care if you are not local!

2 comments:

Elle said...

sounds perfect!!

Renee Claire said...

I've been enjoying the avocado a lot lately myself. As you can see by the photos I take of my meals with them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29248991@N03/sets/72157617189891297/

Love the blog!

Renee