11/14/2006

Simply Sweet Tators

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and so are tables full of variations on the favorite tuber of sweetness-- the sweet tator!

I grew up with my grandmother's sweet potato casserole mashed sweet potatos with a crunchy topping of brown sugar and pecans. It was almost so sweet it could be a desert. In fact, when I lived in India, on Thanksgiving we made a t-giving meal. My contribution was Nana's sweet potato casserole. Aside from the fact that in India ovens don't exist: I had to resort to a toaster over- increasing the baking time from 1 hour to 6 hours ( even still the topping on the top was never crispy like Nana's-- the cooks laughed at me but told me how much they liked it. It apparently was similar to many of the indian sweets that pack enough sugar to kill a large elephant.

Then there is the perenial sweet tator dish: Yam cubes roasted in a jammy sugar substance and topped with marshmallows.

I recently discovered a much simpler and not quite as sweet version of the sweet tuber.

I take a good size sweet potato, bake it in a 350-400 degree oven, Squeeze open and add butter, little brown sugar and either creme fresche or sour cream.

YUM!!!

No comments: