6/04/2006

Green Spears and Red Rubies: An asparagus and Strawberry Marathon


I love the look of asparagus. It has such a unique form slender body with a tightly bound tip. I like to compare it to a spear- Can you imagine a war fought with asparagus spears! Now that truely would be a food revolution. Another pressing question of mine- is the Jolly green giant really an anthropomorphic asparagus?

Last week I made a trip home. One of the highlights of the trip was going to the farm where my 15 year old brother works for the summer. Its less of a farm and more of a strawberry patch and aspargus patch. Timmy stands at the stall, directs people where the best berries are, weighs the harvest and also picks asparagus. So early Saturday morning before it got too hot, my mom and I headed over to the field to get strawberries.

I also saw asparagus growning for the first time and picked about 4lbs.

I came home with about 10 lbs of strawberries and 4 lbs of asparagus and I have been racking my brain all week to figure out how to use the multitude of asparagus. It doesn't help that some of my freinds refuse to eat asparagus.

several meals included the traditional- roast asparagus in olive oil with parmesean cheese (my asparagus standby)

I also made homemade pasta with my new pasta roller. Tossed with fresh pesto from my window garden with two uncooked canned tomatoes diced and added a saute of asparagus and onion and garlic- this was delicious. I thought about pured asparagus and adding it to a pasta dough- I wonder if this would work.

Now it is the end of the week- rather begining of a new one-and I still have a hearty portion of green spears in a bucket in my fridge. Cream of asparagus soup sounds good.

As far as the starwberries go, everyday I have enjoyed the decadence of cereal with fresh strawberries. Now I am going to use the last of the stawberries and make strawberry bread.

No comments: